The History of Westside High School
The original Westside High School was located in the western section of the city at the corner of Southwood and Franklin Streets. The school was officially opened in September 1951 as Reed Street High School. Westside High School was one of the all-black schools in Anderson. The first principal was B.M. Wakefield.
The enrollment continued to grow and in 1960 reached 946 students. It was during this school term that Westside accomplished a feat in athletics that had never before been reached, which was winning state championships in three sports: football, basketball, and baseball.
In 1970, all schools in the United States were integrated. In the fall of 1971, the current facility was occupied. Mr. Henry Adair took the helm of Westside High School in 1983. The current principal, Mr. Kory Roberts, became only the third principal Westside has ever had in 2014.
In the 2003-2004 school year, the 9th Grade Academy was established. During the first year, only English and Math courses were taught within the academy. Now, Freshman students spend their entire day in the academy, where all core subjects are taught.